Monday, May 8, 2017

Sunday..

I spent Sunday in Ashland Wisconsin. I was out by 5am and at the shore of Lake Superior hoping for some clouds and color.

 
No luck. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, crystal clear with a sliver of orange along the horizon.
 
 
 
I walked along the shore looking for any kind of interesting foreground element and tried to do something with these trees.
 
 
It was 25 degrees and the wind picked up from the north. I was getting cold and decided to drive down the road and see if I could do anything with some old dock pilings.
 
 
I wanted to shoot from water level but the waves were about a foot high now and splashed off the rocks getting me and the camera wet every time I tried. I got cold and frustrated and this was the best I could do.
 
 
The sun made it above the horizon and there were small pockets of steam on the water for just a few seconds.
 
 
Since I wasn't having much success there I drove back near where I started and walked a trail so I could put the sun behind this biomass power plant.
 
 
I kept moving myself so I could get the angle and put the sun where I wanted it in the scene.
 
 
Then I was ready to drive to where I had seen some red foxes the day before. I saw one fox on the road when I got close, but I wasn't able to get any photos. after waiting about an hour and a half it was time to give up until the afternoon.
 
 
I saw two kits right when I got there in the evening, but they quickly ran to the den and didn't come back out. The only fox phot I made was this adult waiting on the side of a road to cross to its den. I waited for more than two hours until the area fell into shadows but the foxes never cooperated.
 
 
So I drove to the Ashland marina to try and make some sunset images. I used these dry docked sail boats as a foreground to the sky and clouds.
 
 
As the sun dropped below the horizon it was cold and the wind hadn't died down.
 
 
I stayed until the color mostly disappeared.
 
 
Then headed back to get the pictures off the camera and onto the computer and then start editing and deleting. Nothing really came easy, but all and all it was a pretty good day.



 


No comments: