Saturday, May 27, 2017

Glad I knew it was there..

A month ago I was driving on a highway just a bit faster than speed limit and came up behind an unmarked police car. Rather than risk a possible problem, I got off the highway at the next exit and drove to a nearby lake.

 
That day it was overcast and windy and I didn't take any pictures, but I found a new place.
 
 
So jump to last night, and I find myself driving the opposite direction on that same stretch of highway near sunset.
 
 
There were a few clouds in the sky and the sun was getting low, so I got off at that exit and drove to the lake.
 
 
I pulled into a gravel parking lot at a boat launch, grabbed my camera, and went to get my tripod from the trunk, but it wasn't there.
 
 
I'd forgotten it at home. No problem though, I'd just pay attention to the ISO and shutter speed and do the best I could.
 
 
As I stood there shooting; the clouds were getting more interesting and the breeze started to die down.
 
 
The sun came out from behind the clouds and poked through the trees on the right side of the frame.
 
 
Compose, check focus, shoot. Compose, check focus shoot. Repeat.
 
 
There was a pier out into the water that I started to use in the foreground.
 
 
I tried different compositions, always paying attention to the clouds.
 
 
 
I couldn't believe my luck.
 
 
As the sun dropped lower, the sky got more and more pink.
 
 
I kept shooting until the shutter speeds were too slow with no tripod, then put the camera away and watched the sky for a few more minutes. It was pretty unlikely, but I'm glad I knew it was there.






 
 

No comments: