Thursday, October 31, 2013

Up north . . .

I was on my way to northern Wisconsin and noticed that lots of tamarack trees looked really colorful.

 
For years I had hoped to make some decent images of tamaracks and since the trees were looking so good and the sun was out I decided this would be the day. 
 
 
 
The cool thing about tamarack trees is although they're coniferous, their needles change to a beautiful golden color in the fall and then drop to the ground.
 
 
 
This particular tree was in a bog just off the road near Prentice Wisconsin. By using a circular polarizing filter I was able to capture the actual colors of the tree and sky.
 
 
 
I headed towards Clam Lake and found more great looking trees just off highway 77.
 
 
 
So I parked on the side of the road and spent the next hour trying to capture some of the beautiful colors,
 
 
 
and different perspectives and compositions.
 
 
 
Tamaracks like to grow in wet conditions so I was walking around in a bog of some type with lots of moss on the ground.
 
 
 
There was a small lake nearby and I was lucky to catch this image of the tree's reflection as light filtered through the forest.
 
 
 
I made several close ups of the beautiful golden needles against the blue sky.
 
 
 
The weather had been mostly overcast and rainy for the last couple of weeks, and I'm glad I made the time to photograph these distinctive trees while I had some sunlight and blue sky. It was a great fall afternoon in northern Wisconsin.

No comments: