Wednesday, October 23, 2013

With a little light...

It has been overcast and rainy here for awhile and there doesn't seem to be a lot of good color this fall. Even the trees that do look good seem to lose their leaves faster than I can find some light and make decent images.

 
So I felt lucky to have good oaks and maples in beautiful light for about half an hour the other day.
 
 
I'm finding it's all about the angles and light when it comes to  leaf photos. By moving the camera just a few inches I'd lose the vibrant color on these sugar maple leaves.
 
 

And back lighting can work great for creating dramatic images, as with these leaves from a Japanese maple.
 
 
Finding a decent subject (in this case good looking oak leaves), working with the existing light, and paying attention to the background can produce beautiful images.
 
 
 
These maple leaves haven't started to change their color yet.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
A few sumac leaves isolated with green trees behind.
 
 
 
I was pleasantly surprised by the number of colorful, and striking images I was able to make. With only a half dozen trees and a little bit of time I like the results. I guess it's catch as catch can with regard to fall color in my neighborhood this year, but even a little bit can go a long way.



No comments: