Saturday, April 27, 2019

You never know....

Ten minutes before sunrise I was at my favorite spot in Badlands National Park ready to capture some beautiful colorful photographs.



After two days of great sunrise light I guess I took it for granted that there would be sun, but today there wasn't and this was the view I had.



Rather than the view I had hoped for. Something like this, taken two days earlier.




I actually like interesting silhouettes, but humans see the world in color and I prefer it.




So when I saw sunlight to the west I headed in that direction. When I couldn't find the right scenes to photograph I turned back around.





I went to some rock formations I was familiar with and made more silhouettes.




A bit of blue sky peaked through the clouds, but it didn't look like it was going to clear up. 




So I got back in the car again and drove towards the light. 




After three hours of driving back and forth and starting to feel a little frustrated I parked the car, grabbed a camera, and walked out into the plains.



That's when everything got a lot more fun.




It was 65 degrees with big billowy clouds rolling in on a consistent north wind.





My mood went from not the best to really happy as I walked about choosing foreground hills and cloud formations to photograph.



One of my favorite things about western South Dakota are skies like these.



As shadow and light continually change it's hard to be bored or not have fun. Compose, smile, and shoot.



If you don't like what you're seeing, just wait a minute and it will change.



I was worried the light was getting harsh as it was almost midday.



But the clouds looked so nice and I was having fun so I kept shooting a bit longer.




I found a shed mule deer antler about a half a mile from the road.



Finally, the light seemed played out as I headed back to the car happy with the experience and optimistic about the photos. You never know how things will turn out.


No comments: