Saturday, April 13, 2019

Lake Superior springtime...........

It really is springtime in northern Wisconsin.


But you wouldn't know it by the ice still covering Chequamegon Bay of Lake Superior in Ashland Wisconsin.



The only open water was at the west end where Fish Creek enters the lake at long bridge.




I made a few images, then drove north along the lake to see if I could find any open water.



Ice was piled up along the shore and there was a bit of water just beyond it.



I really lucked out, as some interesting clouds worked their way across the sky shortly after I got there.



It was windy and 33 degrees, I was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. In order to get the low angles to highlight the ice and clouds I needed to lay on various blocks of ice for extended periods of time.



I was getting wet, cold, and occasionally hurt as some of the ice broke beneath me and I fell into larger sharp pieces below.



The sun occasionally went behind the clouds and it felt much colder as I waited for the light.



Madeline Island is in the distance on the right.



I kept looking for interesting shapes and good color.



Just before sunset, light filtered through the trees to the west and lit a small piece of ice at the edge of the lake.



 I worked quickly as darkness neared.



And just like that. The sun slipped behind the trees and the light disappeared.

No comments: