Monday, October 9, 2017

West Thumb. What a morning...


When I got to West Thumb it was still snowing heavily. I took a walk around the Geyser Basin and along the boardwalk near the shore of Yellowstone Lake.


I stopped at Black Pool and made images of the turquoise water and the snow falling.




A few other visitors were enjoying the weather.


It was like a winter wonderland with snow covered trees and steam from the thermal features.


It was a lot of fun standing in the snow making images, wiping the lens off and looking for more.


About an hour later there was a hint of sunlight through the clouds and I couldn't wait to see what the light would bring.


A woman from Spain told me it seemed like a different world.




It was easy to agree as the clouds started to part and the light made it through.


I didn't want to get to far from Black Pool as the water and steam made for great images, but I did walk over to Big cone Geyser as the sky cleared.





I liked how the clouds and Yellowstone Lake looked with the new snow.


This was the view as I walked back towards Black Pool.




I was smiling the whole time and glad I hadn't made it to the Tetons.



The clouds were beautiful over the lake.


It just kept getting better and better.


As the sun hit the water the colors seemed almost tropical to me.


I kept shooting as tourists walked through the steam giving the scene scale and perspective.


Nearby, Abyss Pool looked beautiful as well. 



What an excellent way to spend a morning in Yellowstone National Park.

No comments: