Friday, October 20, 2017

Finally some fall color...


It hadn't been a very good year for fall color in Madison Wisconsin. So after I saw a few colorful maples at the UW Arboretum I went and got a camera and headed over.


There were a few trees with good looking leaves, while others had already lost theirs, and still others hadn't even started to change color.



Many of the trees I had photographed in years past didn't look good at all, so I started walking to the group of trees I had seen from the road.


It was a warm afternoon with a slight breeze and many leaves were falling as I made these images.


There was such a small group of trees with decent looking leaves and color that I just kept working that one little area for the hour and a half until sunset.


I had all I could do to try and find an interesting composition and create some images I liked.


Accessible and undamaged leaves with good color were in short supply.


So it was really great when I'd find one. 



Then it was just a matter of isolating the leaf, choosing a clean background (working the angles) and making some photos.


I switched lenses several times and found myself lying on my back on the ground in order to get the proper working distance and angles.


They weren't the easiest fall photos I've ever made, but I was glad I spent the evening in the woods finding a little color.

No comments: