Friday, July 18, 2014

Dots of color.....

A few days ago I was in northwest Wisconsin on my way to Pattison State Park. I wasn't familiar with the road I was on and found myself driving past a prairie like grassland with individual pine trees sprinkled across the landscape. Every so often I thought I was seeing vibrant dots of orange amid the green grass.  

 
I slowed down to better see what the color was, and finally pulled over to find beautiful wood lilies in full bloom under big billowy clouds.
 
 
 
Lucky for me the flowers were growing at a state wildlife area and the land was publicly owned.
 
 
 
So I grabbed a camera and a couple of lenses and went to see what I could do.
 
 
 
I had a 180mm macro on, but quickly realized I wanted to capture the flowers in their environment not tight images of the blooms.
 
 
 
I switched to a 10-22mm lens and got low to the ground to try and capture the color of the flowers and the drama of the sky above.
 
 
 
It was 75 degrees and got pretty hot laying in the grass and waiting for interesting clouds to form and blow over.
 
 
 
I tried a few images with fill flash and a reflector off to the side to bounce some light under the flowers.
 
 
 
I spent almost two hours trying to capture the colors and skies.
 
 
 
Before I left I did take the time to isolate individual flowers with the macro lens.
 
 
 
The breeze was pretty persistent and it took some patience to make sharp images but,
 
 
 
the time was well spent and I was really happy with the images I captured.
 
 
 
I'm thankful for happy accidents. Like taking an unknown road and finding vibrant dots of color.









1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jerry,

You are a Kerouac like figure, thankfully minus his self destructive tendencies. So great to see such continued growth and depth toward your craft.