Friday, May 23, 2014

It has to be cold........

to get a column of steam like this from Excelsior Geyser

 
at the Midway Geyser Basin. It was 17 degrees on a beautiful May morning in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming.
 
 
 
The Firehole River leads to the geyser basin. I prefer photographing geysers and thermal features when it's colder so the steam can really show.
 
 
 
Then it's just a matter of choosing different compositions and enjoying the moment.
 
 
 
It had been a few years since I last shot Midway with decent morning steam, so I was thrilled with the opportunity.
 
 
 
After working this angle I parked at the actual geyser basin and walked to the river.
 
 
 
A bus load of tourists arrived and some were crossing the bridge as I photographed it and a runoff channel from Excelsior Geyser.
 
 
 
Here's another view of the runoff channel.
 
 
 
After crossing the bridge I found small groups of lodgepole pines that had been frosted by the geysers steam during the night. The ice was quickly melting in the morning sun.
 
 
 
I shot the sun through Excelsior's steam.
 
 
 
And visitors on the boardwalk near Grand Prismatic Spring.
 
 
 
What a super morning in Yellowstone.
 



No comments: