Friday, October 26, 2012

Starry Night...

I went out about midnight to find a place away from town to try and photograph the Orionid meteor shower. The sky was clear and the moon had set a little earlier.



I found a large oak tree, framed the shot and made exposures of about 25 seconds.
 
 
I was trying something new for me. In the past I had used low iso settings and long exposure times of minutes and hours to create star trails. This time I was using an iso of 3200 and 25 second exposures to try and capture the sky more as the eye sees it.
 
 
I was seeing lots of meteors but wasn't able to capture them in my images. I did capture this photo of light from a farmhouse diffused through trees.
 
 
It was a beautiful night to be out in northern Wisconsin.
 
 
Before heading home I found this large white pine tree in a field. I still didn't capture the meteors as they fell just out of frame, but I heard several packs of coyotes singing in the distance. All in all it was a very good night.



 

No comments: