Thursday, June 9, 2011

A few more fawn photos


I was in northern Wisconsin and spotted this white-tailed deer doe nursing her new fawn. I didn't have my camera with me so I went to get it.



Once I had my camera in hand I approached the deer hoping to get some photos. The doe ran off and the fawn quickly dropped to the ground and lay prone.



After a short while the little deer got up and ran into the woods. With some diligent searching I was able to locate it again, this time in its new and improved hiding place.



It had been more than twenty years since I last found and photographed a fawn this small, so I was feeling really lucky to have the opportunity again.



I quietly talked to the deer while I worked to get some good photos.



The fawn was laying in a small woods mostly in the shadows.



The sun was getting low on the horizon and every now and then a little light would filter through the trees and fall on the bedded deer.



Just before leaving, I took this last photo and thanked the fawn for its patience. About twenty minutes later I went back to see if the fawn was gone and it was. The doe had returned and the two of them had walked off.


No comments: