Saturday, December 10, 2016

It's was only two days...

In August I made a short trip out to Yellowstone. Here are a few images taken through the windshield with my phone.


 
I left home in the evening and made it out of Wisconsin across the Mississippi River and into Minnesota as the sun set.
 
 
 
So far so good. I spent the next nine hours driving through the night and Minnesota and South Dakota.
 
 
 
 
 
Sunrise found me just west of the Black Hills and at the Wyoming visitor center on I90.
 
 
 
Always good to be back in Wyoming. But just a quick nap and it was time to keep moving.
 
 
 
The highway runs past Gillette and Buffalo Wyoming, where almost 30 years ago I had some of the most delicious blueberry pancakes at a small diner at the foot of the Bighorn Mountains.
 
 
 
 
 
I love the wide open spaces.
 
 
 
 
 
After Sheridan the road swings north into Montana.
 
 
 
Billings to Livingston and then highway 89 to Gardiner Montana and the north entrance of Yellowstone Park.
 
 


 
The Crazy Mountains in the distance mean it's only about an hour and a half to Yellowstone Park.
 
Once in the park I got a camping spot at Mammoth and spent some time exploring the hot springs before going to sleep. I got up the next morning and was walking the Electric Peak trail by 7am and back to the car by 5 in the afternoon. I took a shower, had something to eat, and was on my way home by 10pm.
 
 
 
I made it east of Billings before stopping to sleep and took I94 through North Dakota the next day.
 
 
 
The clouds and sky really does seem different out there.
 
 
 
 
By 3:30 in the afternoon I was back in Minnesota and only six hours from home. Three days, all good..

 
 


No comments: