Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Now I get it...

In this case, the third time really was the charm.

 
These photos are what I had in mind when I pictured the Mainland Sea Caves. Looking out on Lake Superior from inside an ice cave.
 
 
 
Forrest Gump's mom must have had it right when she said "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get." In this case I got a third chance to photograph the ice caves at the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore near Cornucopia Wisconsin.
 
 
 
It was 50 degrees and the ice and snow were melting fast. The sound of dripping water was constant until the sun went down.
 
 
 
The melting water formed puddles on the ice and reflected the beautiful sky.
 
 
 
 
 
The landscape seemed otherworldly with different hues of blue and white.
 
 
 
My favorite spot was inside this cave looking out on the lake. I was laying on the ice to get the angles I wanted. I didn't realize just how long I had been there until I got really cold and my hands were freezing. Not only was the ice cold and wet below me, but water was dripping on my head and my camera gear from the melting icicles above.
 
 
 
I brought hand warmers and another pair of gloves so it was all good. I kept wiping the water off of the lens and stayed until I lost the light.
 
 
 
 
What a way to spend the afternoon. Capturing scenes like this out on a frozen Great Lake.
 
 
 
On my way off the ice I paused long enough to photograph these trees silhouetted on one of the sandstone cliffs. I had a big smile on my face and kept thinking how lucky I was to be right there at the exact right time. The moon was out and there were stars up above as I happily walked the three miles back to my car.



No comments: