Wednesday, May 9, 2012

You Never Know..

what you'll find when you head outside.

I spent two cool and sometimes wet days at Crex Meadows Wildlife Area last week and saw these


diamond like raindrops on the leaves of a flower I haven't identified yet. (If you know what it is please let me know.)



A rain drop on a bird's-foot violet. (Viola pedata)




A trumpeter swan taking a break from feeding on underwater plants.



Although it was cold, I was able to find two northern prairie skinks by turning over a few logs. It may not look like it, but this skink is fine. When prairie skinks are captured by predators (or people) they wriggle their bodies until whatever is attempting to catch them is left holding only their tail. The skinks tail detaches from its body and continues to twitch and move, keeping the attackers attention while the actual skink makes its escape. Over time the skink will grow back its tail.


With the day as cool and damp as it was, I felt really lucky to find a 4-5 foot bullsnake crossing one of the dirt roads. I made a few images and watched it move off into a nearby woods.



It was as if I was actually watching spring unfold as these new leaves grew on a scrub oak.

No comments: